Before the wedding I really struggled to get my nails to play the game, I always had visions of my wedding nails being long and my own… generally just natural looking. I ended up with acrylics for the day because if my nails grew.. they soon broke.
After the wedding I was under less stress and decided to go back to basics when it came to nail care.
Once I soaked the acrylics off my nails, they were so weak and unhappy (although quite long) I decided to trim my nails down and start fresh. Once trimmed these are the steps I took initially to get my nails looking healthy..
- Filed my nails into my natural shape (in one direction.. no see saw motion on my watch)
- Used cuticle remover and gently pushed my cuticles back and removed excess cuticle.
- Gently buffed the nail bed so was an even surface.
- Massaged cuticle oil into each nail for 20 seconds per nail to promote growth and to hydrate the nail.
- I didn’t paint my nails for a good week after removing acrylics.
What I did throughout the week:
- Filed my nails at least every other day
- Massaged cuticle oil into my nails daily
- Pushed my cuticles back once a week
I then decided to use gel polish to keep my nails strong. I am glad I gave my nails the week break before hand. Although once I have gel polish on I do not file my nails I still feel it is so important to use cuticle oil daily. It takes seconds and makes all the difference. I make sure I remove and re do my gel polish every 2 weeks. I never peel the polish off and this has made a huge difference to my nails and their strength.
I wish I had taken a picture of my nails before they grew but they were so ugly haha. But here is a picture of my nails now…